St. Thomas Christians are migratory in character. Migration of Syro-Malabar catholics to Mumbai started in 1950s. They depended on the local Latin Churches for their religious and spiritual needs. Yet they preferred to preserve their religious tradition and heritage intact and to transmit them to the next generation. As a result of the efforts of the Syro-Malabar catholics in and around Tilak Nagar, and the blessing and guidance of Mar Paul Chittilappilly, the first Bishop of the Eparchy of Kalyan, St Sebastian’s Qurbana Centre came into existence in 1991. Initially the centre started functioning at Maharashtra Ekvarthak Mandal Hall at Tilak Nagar. Rev. Fr. Paul Madan was the first parish priest. Sunday Qurbana and other spiritual and religious needs of the faithful were offered at the same place. In due course of time more and more Syro-Malabar Catholics started coming for the Holy Qurbana and the space became inadequate to accommodate all the faithful.
Due to the hard work and sincere efforts of the parishioners and the then parish priest Rev. Fr. Jacob Porathur we were able to get an independent place as a welfare centre. The Qurbana centre was shifted to the new premises in the year 1995 under the new name Infant Jesus Qurbana centre. On 11th December 2005, Chancellor Rev Fr. Francis Eluvathingal announced the erection of Infant Jesus Parish. Today it is a full-fledged parish with 70 families. At present Rev. Fr. Jefrin Pallithara is the parish priest.
Parish Priest: Fr. Jerry Onampally
Establishment of Parish Community: 1991
Official Erection as a Parish: 11/12/2005
Date of the Consecration of the Church:
Area of the Church Property: 1000 sq.ft.
No. of Family’s: 74
No. of Family Units: 5
Address: Near Building No. 65 Kurla Terminus Road Tilaknagar, Mumbai 400089
How to reach:
Name of the Religious Congregation & Province: Nil
Type of the Institutions at parish territory: Tiny Tot Nursery (Run by Parish)