Before the erection of the Diocese, Jerimeri had a Catholic Community which was depending on St. Jude Church for its pastoral needs.
We started our parish with almost 120 families and some bachelors. In the year 1993 during the tenure of Fr. Jose Odannatu we purchased a Chawl (Room No. 7) of 600 Sq. ft. In D’souza Chawl which was later on named as St. Joseph Welfare Centre, Jerimeri and we started conducting Holy Qurbana on weekdays and other activities in the same centre and we continued conducting Sunday Qurbana in St. Jude Church. Fr. Paul Moonjely, initiated to renovate this Chawl room to form a chapel and initiated Novena’s on Thursdays. From that year 1996 onwards, we started celebrating the feast of St. Joseph, the worker on 1st May and till now it is celebrated with high level of devotion and solemnity. In 1999 during the tenure of Msgr. Thomas Thalachira we purchased Room No. 5 and converted it into Priest Residence and from there onwards we were blessed with full time Parish Priest. In the year 2005, Fr. Davis Eluvatihngal took the lead and started the proceedings for buying Room No. 6. All the above three Rooms (Room No. 5, 6 & 7) put together; we have a total basement area of 1800 sq. ft.
In the year 2006 all parishioners under the guidance of Fr. Mathew Kollamparambil, decided to construct the church. On 30th March -2006 Mar Thomas Elavanal laid the foundation stone for our Church. With the co-operation of parishioners and other well wishers the construction work was completed within a period of one year and the church was consecrated to the devotees and parishioners by Mar Thomas Elavanal on 15th April, 2007. The building constructed in a total area of 3600 sq.ft, has 1800 sq. ft Church built on 1st floor and on ground floor 1200 sq. ft parish hall and 600 sq. ft of priest residence.
Rev. Fr. Binu Painumkal is currently serving in our Parish. We gratefully remember the names of our earlier parish priests who had served and contributed much for the steady growth of our Church. Following are the priests who have served our Church selflessly: Fr. Thomas Harry Alappat (CMI), Fr. K.D. James, Fr. Jose Chirayath, Fr. Jose Odanaatu, Fr. Paul Moonjely, Msgr. Rev. Fr. Thomas Thalachira, Fr. Xavier Kanatt , Fr. Jacob Palackapilly, Fr. Benny Thanninilkumthadathil, Fr. Abraham Kollithadathil, Fr. Davis Eluvathingal. Rev. Fr. Mathew Kollamparambil, Rev. Fr. Benny Thonikkuzhi, Rev, Fr. Sibi Kulangara, Rev. Fr. Thomas Vazhayil and Rev. Fr. Jefrin Pallithara.
Parish Priest: Fr. Jeffrin Pallithara
Establishment of Parish Community: 1993
Official Erection as a Parish: 04/11/2012
Date of the Consecration of the Church: 15/04/2007
Area of the Church Property: 3600 sq. ft.
No. of Family’s: 60
No. of Family Units: 4
Address: St. Joseph the Welfare Centre, Room No. 5, D’souza Chawl, Safedpool, Jerimeri, Mumbai 400072
Phone No.: 28515677
How to reach:
Name of the Religious Congregation & Province: Nil
Type of the Institutions at parish territory: St. Joseph’s Play School (run by Parish)